Monday, October 3, 2011

Procrastination

I truly have a gift for avoiding work I am supposed to be doing.

This Thursday, I am giving a talk at a conference.  The slides are all done.  That part is easy because I like it.  The problem is that I don't want to actually practice the talk.  I am conscious of the fact that I will do a far better job if I practice in advance.  Seriously, I went to music school.  That lesson was certainly beat into my brain.  However, there's something about giving a talk to EvilCat on computational topology as applied to sensor networks that makes me find absolutely everything better to do.

EvilCat is more interested in the laser pointer than in computing probabilistic failure of sensor networks.
I really do need to practice.  There is a strict 25 minute limit on talks, plus I talk very fast when I'm nervous.  The idea is that if I practice, I won't be nervous, and therefore will talk at a pace where my tongue can keep up with my brain.

In case you were wondering, yes, writing this blog post is actually a method of avoidance as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment